The project is based on current trends in social policy regarding the financial structure of the rehabilitation systems in Germany as well as on scientific and conceptional developments in the field of rehabilitation services. First, regarding to § 93 a Abs.
2 BSHG rehabilitation providers shall develop flat rates for the financing of rehabilitation by clustering recipients with similar need of support. Some states have accomplished in developing procedures which facilitate a description of individual needs of integration support based on qualitative criteria (e.g. "H.M.B.-Procedure", University of Tübingen). However, until now there aren't any systematic economic calculabilities who belong to a cluster of persons with similar needs of support, and on the other hand facilitate that the special needs of each person are satisfied.
Another approach is comprised by new developments towards a basic reform of the rehabilitation system. According to this, adequate financial support shall be allocated to people with disabilities ("Personal Budget") (SGB IX
Issues and Targets:
Therefore the main issues of the sutdy are financial models for organizing integration support in a way that corresponds to the special needs of the individual and to make a contribution to the securing of the quality of life of persons with disabilities. Because of methodical considerations the focus of this study lies on adult persons with mental disabilities, who life in institutions or use outpatient rehabilitation services.
To accomplish the targets, our study is divided into two modules (A and B), which will finally be brought together in a third module (C).
A: Exploration and calculation of individual support needs of adults with mental disabilities in the field of housing.
- Exploration and comparison of the financing of institutions and services in different states up to now
- Description and alalysis of life sutuations and welfare standards in institutions
- Exploratin of individual needs of support
- Amalysis of the fitting between special needs and existing
- Development of a model of calculation according to § 93 Abs.
B: Basic conception and possibilities for an implementation of a personal budget
- Alalysis of experience in German states (e.g. Rheinland-
-Pfalz, Hamburg) and foreign countries (e.g. USA
, Scandinavia, Netherlands, England)
- Exploration of life situations, lifestyles, aims of life, and special needs
- Exploration of importance and effectiveness of honorary support in family and neighbourhood
- Development of conditions for the exploration and arrangement of personal budgets
- Development of a basis for calculating an appropriate personal budget for a satisfaction of individual needs of
The results of the modules A and B will be brought together in the module C and will build a practical common ground for exploring and calculating individual needs of support.
Field of Research: Rehabilitation providers in the field of
housing for people with mental disabilities (institutions, outpatient
services) and people with mental disabilities living in institutions or private households in Germany.
Methods: Questionnaires, interviews, and
observations of life situations (economic
social and ecological aspects)
The course of the profect will be evaluated by an advisory council (representatives of the foundation and trade associations). The results will regularly be presented on (international) symposiums and workshops.